When Total Sealing Is a Must
PE-UHMW is an ultrahigh-molecular-weight polyethylene with an extremely high molar mass. The material can be processed by extrusion or pressing, primarily to produce seals and/or engineered parts. PE-UHMW is characterized by the following outstanding properties:
- Very good wear and abrasion resistance, even with abrasive media
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Low friction coefficient and, consequently, good sliding characteristics
- Outstanding dimensional stability and therefore suitable for high pressures
- Very low water absorption
- High impact strength, even at low temperatures
- Very good electrical insulation properties
- Ideal properties for use in applications involving water
- Usable in the food and pharmaceutical industries
- Operating temperatures up to max. +100°C
- Very low gas permeability
This property profile makes PE-UHMW the ideal material for use in continuous direct contact with water. It is also approved for use in the food and pharmaceutical industries. Typical components made from PE-UHMW include piston and rod seals, such as spring-energized seals or Elring memory packings.
Using special compounds based on PE-UHMW and PTFE allows a targeted improvement in the plastic’s sliding characteristics and thus a reduction in friction.